Garlic scapes, celtuce (aka celery lettuce), tomatoes, and chestnut mushrooms were new last week. Expect to see lots more broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, radishes, cucumbers, and kale
- Celtuce, also called stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce, or Chinese lettuce, is a cultivar of lettuce. Silverthorn Farm had it last week.
- Another new item was the Chestnut Mushrooms at Freedom Valley Farm. They have a a lovely yellow brown color and a nutty flavor.
- Of course, we know garlic scapes are wonderful, but their season is brief, so now that they have shown up, you should get them and use them while you can.
- Tomato season on the other hand is generally a long and delicious one. The first tomatoes showed up this past Saturday at two different vendors. We expect to see lots more in the coming months.
- The little heads of cauliflower we saw the previous week turned into regular sized heads and lovely heads of broccoli were available too.
- I also saw additional varieties of kale and more kale than previously along with a lot more zucchini than had been available so far this season.
It’s Week #3 of the month, so we have 3-in-1 Restaurant, BooYah Shrubs, Circle City Smoke, Guacamole & More, Hickory Valley Farm, Hidden Pond Farm, and Pet Wants Indy joining us this coming Saturday.
Fields Farm Fresh, Compean & Sons, and Funny Bone Farm will all be back after being out last week.
Hole Pottery and Nicey Treat will be out this Saturday (at the Talbot Street Art Fair).