This cool cucumber salad will tame any spicy summer dish. Cilantro stands in for lettuce (flat leaf parsley if you prefer), and cucumber, celery and scallions give it a satisfying crunch.
Tiger (Cucumber) Salad
recipe by Alison Roman for Bon Appetit
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves with tender stems, cut into 2 inches pieces
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 small cucumbers or 1/2 large, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Whisk vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add cilantro, celery, cucumbers, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Makes 6 servings.
DO AHEAD: Salad can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Think spicy grilled meats or fish for serving alongside this tasty refreshing salad. Salmon with a spicy rub would be perfect, or marinated beef, pork, or chicken cubes on skewers. Delicious!