When strawberries are in season locally, the best way to enjoy them is also the easiest. Make these simple mascerated strawberries and eat them on just about everything!
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons vinegar or citrus juice
- Wash and prepare the berries in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with sugar and add the vinegar or citrus juice. Then toss to distribute evenly.
- Let sit for at least half an hour.
- Serve over shortcakes, waffles, pancakes, French toast, ice cream, sponge cake, etc.
Cook’s Notes: Experiment with flavored vinegars. Herby vinegars like basil are nice as is white balsamic or champagne vinegar. Adding chopped herbs like basil, tarragon, rosemary, or mint to the mix makes gives a refreshing kick. When using citrus juice, a little zest kicks up the fresh flavor too.
One of my favorite ways to use mascerated strawberries is over homemade shortcake that has a little basil or thyme mixed into the batter. I also love them in crepes! And you can use the same easy method to mascerate other berries, like raspberries or blackberries, or stone fruits, like peaches or plums. Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more great strawberry recipes. Now is the time!