If you’re looking for a delicious salad that looks lush and lovely on your table and also complements all sorts of grilled goodies for this Labor Day weekend, look no further.
And you can get almost everything you need on Saturday morning at the Market!
Greek Tomato Salad
adapted from a recipe by Robin Bashinsky for Cooking Light
- 2 cups halved multicolored cherry tomatoes OR
- 2 cups quartered heirloom tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup peeled chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 oz. feta cheese
Combine tomatoes and salt in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Add cucumber, onion, olives, oregano leaves, olive oil, vinegar, and crushed red pepper; toss. Sprinkle with crumbled feta. Makes 4 servings.
I’d be tempted to use a combination of the cherry tomatoes and quartered full size heirlooms. Wouldn’t that be visually spectacular? And I’m thinking this would be equally tasty with grilled veggies and a gorgeous well-seasoned steak, or go with portabellas for a vegetarian feast.
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more tantalizing tomato recipes!