Tulip Tree Creamery’s very own Katy Williams won the first place prize for her signature grilled cheese sandwich, Sweet Blue Haired Granny, at the Indiana State Fair for American Dairy Association’s Ultimate Grilled Cheese Contest! Hooray! Luckily, the market has everything you need to make this sandwich at home (see the recipe below)!
Sweet Blue-Haired Granny
recipe by Katy Williams of Tulip Tree Creamery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened (Tulip Tree Creamery)
- 2 (½-inch) slices sourdough bread (Amelia’s City Loaf)
- 2 ounces aged Gouda or other hard cheese, shredded (Tulip Tree Creamery Nightshade or Haymaids)
- 4 to 6 thin slices Granny Smith apple 2 ounces double cream blue cheese, sliced (Tulip Tree Creamery Chicory)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Indiana wildflower honey (Wildflower Ridge Honey)
Stir rosemary into butter; spread onto one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle shredded cheese onto un-buttered side of one bread slice. Top with apple slices, sliced blue cheese and second bread slice, buttered side on top. Grill on medium heat, 5 minutes per side, checking frequently for even browning, until cheese is melted and bread is golden. Cut in half. Drizzle with honey before serving. Garnish with Home Ec’s Spicy Pickled Carrots. Makes 1 sandwich.